For those who imagine as I do, that the facet dishes make the feast, then you definitely completely, positively want this recipe for the BEST do-it-yourself Tacky Scalloped Potatoes.
Scalloped—that means the potatoes are thinly sliced into rounds, then baked casserole-style in a creamy sauce—is a particular solution to elevate the standard potato (consider them because the horizontal model of Hasselback Potatoes).
You possibly can create many variations (like these Scalloped Potatoes with Goat Cheese and Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes), however when you’re craving a basic, this conventional scalloped potato recipe is the one.
As soon as the potatoes are sliced, this explicit simple recipe comes collectively quick, largely due to the truth that I managed to discover a solution to make these scalloped potatoes with out béchamel sauce.
No heavy cream, no additional steps. Simply layer and bake!
About this Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- These potatoes style decadent and memorable sufficient for one thing particular, however gained’t weigh you down after only a few bites. No heavy cream sauce!
- The one factor extra heavenly than the wealthy aroma that perfumes the kitchen as these do-it-yourself scalloped potatoes bake is the glory of truly consuming them.
If potatoes are a staple on your loved ones’s Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas menu too (or, in case you’d instantly prefer to make them part of that checklist), then seize your spuds, and let’s get cooking!
The Distinction Between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin
- Scalloped potatoes are thinly sliced potatoes layered in a casserole dish and baked with heavy cream or milk.
- Au gratin potatoes have grated cheese sprinkled between the layers, in order that they style extra decadent. Breadcrumbs are additionally usually sprinkled on high of the dish earlier than it goes into the oven. (Try Brussels Sprouts Gratin for a twist).
- The potatoes are additionally normally sliced extra thinly for au gratin potatoes than scalloped potatoes.
Whereas there are key variations in these two dishes, the 2 phrases are used pretty interchangeably, together with by some main, well-respected meals web sites.
So that are these?
They’ve thinly sliced potatoes, milk, and cheese, so they’re a combo of each.
Name them no matter you want, they style wonderful!
Suggestions for the Greatest Scalloped Potatoes
- Select the Proper Potato.
- For scalloped potatoes, search for a potato that’s starchy. Starchy potatoes assist thicken the sauce and are extra tender. There are two sorts of starchy potatoes which might be available: russet potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes.
- Between the 2, I discover one of the best potatoes for tacky scalloped potatoes are Yukon gold potatoes. Their taste is of course richer and extra buttery than russet potatoes, leading to a extra fully-flavored dish.
- Yukon gold potatoes maintain their form properly after they’re baked.
- Keep away from waxy red-skinned potatoes. As a result of they’re much less starchy, they’re prone to be too agency, even after cooking. Save your crimson potatoes for Roasted Pink Potatoes.
- Slice the Potatoes Extremely Skinny.
- A part of what makes these fast scalloped potatoes is how thinly the potatoes are sliced.
- Thinner potatoes bake quicker and grow to be unbelievably tender. The layers nearly soften into one another in essentially the most fantastic method that you simply by no means would have realized you had been lacking however won’t ever wish to be with out once more.
- For greatest outcomes, I like to recommend a mandoline for even, razor-thin slices that don’t must prepare dinner earlier than layering them.
The right way to Make Tacky Scalloped Potatoes
For this tacky scalloped potatoes recipe, I made a decision to take the traits that make this dish so common—the velvety texture, the layers upon layers of creamy potatoes, and that yummy, tacky lid—then streamline the recipe to make it simpler.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes. Yukon Gold are my really helpful sort of potato for this tacky scalloped potatoes recipe. See “Suggestions for the Greatest Scalloped Potatoes” above for extra.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Tacky scalloped potatoes are one of the best scalloped potatoes! The sharp cheddar stands out from the creaminess of the potatoes and sauce.
- Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkled on high for the proper cheese-crusted lid. And parm makes nearly all the things higher, proper?
- Complete Milk. The key to acquiring a superbly creamy, tender texture with out utilizing cream.
- Onion. Sautéed together with garlic for main taste.
- Garlic. Brings these tacky scalloped potatoes up one other notch.
- Flour. The sliced potatoes are tossed in all-purpose flour, thickening the sauce whereas it cooks within the dish.
- Soften butter in a pan and prepare dinner onion over medium-low warmth. Add garlic and prepare dinner till aromatic.
- Stir within the milk, salt and pepper.
- Toss sliced and peeled potatoes in a bowl with salt and flour.
- Unfold 1/3 of the potatoes in a casserole dish. Spoon 1 cup of the milk combination excessive.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Repeat layering potatoes, milk combination and cheese till you have got 3 layers of every.
- Finish layering with cheddar cheese on high. Bake tacky scalloped potatoes lined at 375 levels F for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 25 minutes, till the potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, then broil for 1 to three minutes till the cheese is golden brown. Relaxation at room temperature previous to serving to thicken sauce. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Place cooked and cooled leftovers in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. You can also make these potatoes forward and reheat them. Gently reheat leftovers in an oven-safe baking dish lined with foil within the oven at 350 levels F till warmed via, including extra splashes of milk as wanted. You may as well reheat this dish within the microwave till sizzling, although I like to recommend the oven for one of the best texture.
- To Freeze. Retailer cooked and cooled leftovers in a freezer-safe storage container within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Let thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than reheating. Notice that potatoes do are likely to grow to be mealy when frozen, so solely freeze as a final resort, or in case you don’t thoughts a lower than optimum texture.
Meal Prep Tip
If you already know you’re going to freeze your potatoes, I like to recommend not cooking all of them the way in which. The potatoes will maintain up higher within the freezer, and you’ll end the baking course of once you’re able to reheat them.
Make Forward Directions
The dish might be ready via Step 3 in the future upfront (wait so as to add the milk/cheese till simply earlier than you bake). Retailer lined within the fridge, let come to room temperature, then proceed with the recipe as directed.
What to Serve With Tacky Scalloped Potatoes
A successful facet on your vacation unfold, tacky scalloped potatoes are perfection with any of those basic starring mains, or with extra sides.
Vacation Major Dishes
Extra Yummy Sides
The Greatest Mandoline
This mandoline simply slices fruit and veggies with 4 totally different adjustable thicknesses. It’s dishwasher secure too!
What sides does your loved ones should serve with each vacation dinner?
I guess after one style, you’ll wish to add these tacky scalloped potatoes!
Incessantly Requested Questions
Whereas the precise reasoning for the title continues to be a thriller, many speculate that it could reference the “scalloped” form that the potato slices make once they’re assembled within the dish. Others imagine the title may have originated from “collops,” which is an Outdated English phrase that means “to slice meat thinly” and will seek advice from the thinly sliced potatoes.
As a result of this scalloped potatoes recipe isn’t very saucy to start with, if doubling the recipe, I recommend doing 2.5 instances the quantity of milk and cheese to make sure there’s loads of tacky sauce to cowl the potatoes. For those who like your scalloped potatoes additional saucy, you might even wish to take into account tripling the quantity of milk and cheese if making ready these scalloped potatoes for a crowd.
For those who’re searching for a enjoyable recipe variation, strive Scalloped Potatoes with Ham. Ssuggest layer thinly sliced cooked ham between the layers of potatoes earlier than baking then end as directed (for straightforward serving, minimize the ham into items first). Scalloped potatoes with carrots is a superb vegetarian scalloped potatoes twist. Thinly slice carrots into cash and intermix them with the potato slices earlier than baking.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion ¼-inch diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 cups entire milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper
- 3 kilos Yukon Gold potatoes about 6 to eight medium
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese shredded (about ¼ cup)
Place a rack within the middle of your oven and preheat to 375 levels F. Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray and put aside.
In a medium pot or huge skillet with excessive sides, warmth the butter over medium-low warmth. Add the onion. Prepare dinner for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring usually, till translucent. Stir within the garlic and prepare dinner simply till aromatic, about 1 minute extra. Flip off the warmth.
Stir within the milk, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Put aside to chill.
Peel the potatoes. With a mandoline or very sharp chef’s knife, slice the potatoes into VERY skinny slices, about ⅛ to ¼-inch thick (thinner is healthier). Place potatoes in a big bowl. Sprinkle with the flour and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Along with your fingers, toss to coat the potatoes as evenly as attainable.
Unfold one-third of the sliced potatoes evenly within the backside of the ready dish. Spoon 1 cup of the milk combination excessive. Sprinkle with ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Repeat two extra instances so you have got a complete of three layers every of potato, the milk combination, and the cheddar cheese, ending with the cheese on high.
Frivolously mist a big sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick spray. Cowl the dish with foil spray-side down. Bake the scalloped potatoes for 35 minutes, then uncover and bake for an 25 extra minutes, till the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
Take away the dish from the oven and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Flip the oven to broil and return the pan to the oven for 1 to three minutes, till the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Don’t stroll away and allow them to burn!
Permit the potatoes to face at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes previous to serving to permit the milk combination to set and thicken (don’t fear, they
- *I don’t advocate russet potatoes for this recipe, as they’ve much less taste, a dryer texture, and thicker pores and skin than Yukon golds.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: The dish might be ready via Step 3 in the future upfront (wait so as to add the milk/cheese till simply earlier than you bake). Retailer lined within the fridge, let come to room temperature, then proceed with the recipe as directed.
- TO STORE: Place cooked and cooled leftovers in an hermetic storage container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently reheat leftovers in an oven-safe baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F till warmed via, including a splash of broth as wanted. You may as well reheat this dish within the microwave till sizzling.
- TO FREEZE: I don’t advocate freezing scalloped potatoes as they’ll grow to be mealy.
Serving: 1of 8Energy: 313kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 12gFats: 13gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 39mgPotassium: 861mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 431IUVitamin C: 35mgCalcium: 297mgIron: 2mg
Be a part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.