This wholesome Taco Salad recipe is every thing you like about taco evening, remodeled right into a healthful bundle you possibly can really feel nice devouring for nutritious lunches and dinners. Fill your bowl with taco-seasoned floor turkey, crisp romaine, beans, and recent veggies, then end with crispy tortilla strips and a home made yogurt and salsa dressing.
From the lean floor turkey, to a home made taco seasoning, to all the greatest taco fixin’s, this Mexican-inspired recipe has all of it, together with the very best (and best!) taco salad dressing recipe.
Adios wimpy salads.
This healthful, filling salad is a traditional taco accomplished lighter so you possibly can take pleasure in it extra usually!
Wholesome Taco Salad Recipe that Satisfies
Have you ever ever requested your self if taco salad could be wholesome?
This taco salad shouts a convincing YES!
- Excessive in protein and fiber, it packs a wide selection of taco toppings like cheese, avocado, corn, baked tortilla chips, and beans.
- Along with its nutritious ingredient lineup and strong taste, the parts of this taco salad final properly within the fridge, making it splendid for meal prep.
- It’s additionally far simpler to eat than common tacos. Who has time for shells? Simply toss every thing right into a bowl and also you’re able to chow down!
Restaurant vs. Home made Taco Salad
Regardless of their notion as being “wholesome” choices, restaurant taco salads are deceptively unhealthy. Most restaurant variations:
- Are doused in heavy, high-calorie dressings
- Include a scant variety of healthful greens
- Overdo it on the high-fat toppings like bitter cream, shredded cheese or nacho cheese
- Are sometimes served in a deep-fried taco shell (scrumptious however harmful).
Making your personal salad at residence means which you can management the taco salad components and parts to make it as healthful as you select.
5 Star Evaluate
“Love this taco salad! The seasoning is low in salt which I used to be searching for and so yummy and tremendous simple to make for a busy mama!!”
— Whitney —
Tips on how to Make Taco Salad
Whether or not you’re wanting so as to add extra satisfying salad recipes to your repertoire or simply love tacos (or each!), this wholesome taco salad bowl will shortly grow to be a favourite.
- Flour Tortillas. One of many secrets and techniques to creating a extremely nice taco salad is including crunch. Rather than fried chips, I take advantage of oven-baked strips of tortillas. It solely takes a couple of minutes to toss the tortilla strips into the oven, and the feel they add is totally well worth the small effort.
- Spices. Skip the packet of taco seasoning, which is often excessive in sodium. As a substitute, make a home made taco seasoning that mixes salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder to season the bottom turkey meat. You possibly can additionally add paprika, oregano, onion powder, or successful of sizzling sauce to style.
- Floor Turkey. To create a lower-calorie taco salad recipe that also packs restaurant-worthy satisfaction, I used floor turkey. It’s equally as scrumptious right here as season floor beef! The perfect taco meat!
- Romaine Lettuce. The crisp and recent base for our salad. Romaine lettuce is excessive in minerals and low in energy, making it splendid for this slimmed-down salad. I desire it over iceberg lettuce, which is crisp however lacks vitamins.
- Black Beans. A real tremendous meals! Black beans have been proven to be useful for ldl cholesterol, are wealthy in fiber and protein, and are very low in saturated fats. They offer the salad a creamy ingredient and make it extra satisfying. (My On the spot Pot Black Beans could be good right here; canned work too, after all.)
- Corn. I take advantage of handy canned Mexican-style corn and beloved the extra flavors it provides to the salad.
- Tomatoes. A handful of cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or chopped Roma tomatoes provides bursts of taste and vitamin C.
- Avocado. The creamy, nutrient-packed ingredient that all of us love! Avocado provides nutritional vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cilantro + Inexperienced Onions. For a little bit of chew and added taste.
- Cheddar Cheese. I went lighter on the cheese amount, so utilizing an extra-sharp cheddar helps be sure you can nonetheless style it in each chew.
- Greek Yogurt + Salsa. So easy however so delish! To make the BEST taco salad dressing, merely combine collectively your favourite salsa with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, my wholesome substitute for bitter cream. Greek yogurt is excessive in protein and has calcium too.
Something you like in your tacos is honest recreation!
- My favourite toppings are tortilla strips (or tortilla chips; Doritos are enjoyable) and extra avocado, or jalapeño.
- To combine it up, attempt chopped purple onion (or higher but, Fast Pickled Onions), queso fresco, pico de gallo, recent corn, mushrooms, bell peppers, black olives, Roasted Candy Potatoes, sliced jicama, Home made Guacamole, or toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Bake the tortilla strips.
- In a nonstick, massive skillet brown the turkey with the spices.
- Stir collectively the dressing components, and prime lettuce with a part of the dressing.
- Add the salad components.
- Toss to mix, sprinkle with tortilla strips, and serve. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. As soon as assembled and dressed, the salad is greatest eaten inside a couple of hours of serving. Nonetheless, the deconstructed components of this salad could also be saved individually in hermetic containers for 2-4 days within the fridge. Even dressed, this salad isn’t too unhealthy the following day.
- To Reheat. Leftovers of the seasoned floor turkey could also be warmed within the microwave, in a coated container, till steaming.
Meal Prep Tip
- To make forward, chop the veggies and prepare dinner the turkey upfront, storing them individually within the fridge.
- You’ll be able to shortly assemble particular person parts and add another toppings you need all through the week.
In case your plan is to prep this salad for lunches all through the week, I like to recommend storing the salad in divided meal prep containers after which tossing every thing along with the dressing when able to serve.
The perfect half about leftover taco salad topping is you possibly can simply change gears and make different dishes like tacos, quesadillas, or recreation day-worthy nachos.
What to Serve with Taco Salad
- Baking Sheets. These are a useful device on your kitchen. I take advantage of them to bake up the tortilla strips on this recipe.
- Measuring Cups. A great technique to measure AND combine your components for salad dressing, with out getting one other bowl soiled. Plus, they’ll go within the microwave and dishwasher.
- Skillet. For cooking up all of that completely seasoned floor turkey.
Pour your self a marg, as a result of tonight is taco (salad) evening!
Regularly Requested Questions
It may be. For those who’d like to attenuate your carbohydrates and nonetheless take pleasure in a filling, wholesome taco salad, I’d recommend omitting or limiting the crispy tortilla strips and black beans to knock off essentially the most carbs from this recipe.
Usually, the greens, greens, and different toppings are served chilly. Nonetheless, most taco salad recipes, together with this one, will serve the meat heat excessive of the salad.
It may be. To make this a gluten-free taco salad, go for corn tortillas slightly than flour tortillas (or skip them solely). If you’re particularly delicate to gluten, examine your labels to make sure all components had been processed in a gluten-free licensed facility to keep away from cross-contamination.
How wholesome or unhealthy you make your taco salad is as much as you. For those who use lean meat, load in some veggies, don’t use a fried taco shell, and restrict fatty toppings; taco salad is an excellent wholesome meal!
For the Taco Salad:
- 2 fajita-size flour tortillas (or swap for corn tortillas to make gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 pound 93% lean floor turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon floor cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 head romaine lettuce roughly chopped
- 1 can reduced-sodium black beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1 can Mexican-style corn (11 ounces), drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 medium ripe avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup inexperienced onions thinly sliced
For the Salsa Yogurt Dressing:
- 1/4 cup salsa (store-bought or home made)
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
Place a rack within the middle of your oven, and preheat the oven to 425 levels F. Coat a big rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
Stack the tortillas and minimize them in half, then slice every half into 1/2-inch strips. Scatter the strips in the midst of the ready baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, then sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat, then unfold them right into a single layer.
Bake till golden brown and crisp, about 8 minutes, turning midway by. Put aside to chill.
In the meantime, in a big, nonstick skillet, warmth the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high. Add the turkey, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Break up the meat and stir with a spoon till it’s cooked by; about 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the salsa and Greek yogurt to make the dressing.
Place the romaine in a big serving bowl. High with 1/4 cup of the salsa-yogurt combination, the turkey, black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, cheese, and inexperienced onions. Toss calmly to mix, then sprinkle the tortilla strips excessive. Serve instantly with remaining salsa-yogurt dressing as desired.
- GLUTEN FREE OPTION: To make the recipe gluten free, swap corn tortillas instead of the flour tortillas. Verify the baking time a couple of minutes early, because the corn tortillas might crisp extra shortly.
- MAKE AHEAD: Retailer the cooked floor turkey within the fridge for as much as 4 days, the corn and black beans in a separate container for as much as 4 days, the dressing in a container for as much as 4 days, and the chopped tomatoes in a container for as much as 3 days. Washed, chopped lettuce will also be saved within the crisper drawer for two to three days. Heat the turkey and assemble the salad simply earlier than serving.
- TO STORE: As soon as assembled and dressed, the salad is greatest eaten inside a couple of hours of serving. Nonetheless, the deconstructed components of this salad could also be saved individually in hermetic containers for 2-4 days within the fridge.
Serving: 1(of 4) with out dressingEnergy: 596kcalCarbohydrates: 65gProtein: 40gFats: 23gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 5gMonounsaturated Fats: 11gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 87mgPotassium: 1699mgFiber: 18gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 15204IUVitamin C: 42mgCalcium: 236mgIron: 8mg
Be part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite recipes and entry FREE meal plans.