It was 20 years in the past when Cisco began delivery the Cisco MDS 9000 storage networking switches in quantity to clients, following the preliminary launch a couple of months earlier than. At the moment, there have been questions on why Cisco had entered the “storage enterprise”. We didn’t see it fairly that approach. Certain, the lexicon was a bit totally different. For instance, we had been now connecting “hosts, HBAs, and LUNs”, not “servers, NICs, and controllers”. Nevertheless it was nonetheless networking, and our clients regarded to Cisco for assist.
With that goal in thoughts, Cisco has launched quite a few groundbreaking storage networking improvements that leverage our total information heart networking arsenal together with Nexus switching and administration applied sciences. These improvements have benefited our clients over these final 20 years. I additionally consider they’ve superior the storage networking business at massive, which we’re a proud member of. 5 examples:
- Segmentation: Launched by digital SANs (VSANs) used to allow greater ranges of safety, virtualization, useful resource utilization and better stability in SAN materials
- Visibility & Intelligence: Enabled by Cisco Silicon and SAN Analytics and Insights offering deep material visibility with scalable self-learning capabilities at microsecond granularity (for each SCSI or FC-NVMe stream).
- Automation: Leveraging Nexus Dashboard Material Controller RESTful API to help MDS switch-based NX-API, Python SDK, Ansible modules to simplify material deployment and to decrease complexity and prices.
- Congestion Administration: Achieved by a Cisco-unique innovation designed to alleviate SAN congestion with no dependency on hosts or storage. That is additional enhanced by Nexus Dashboard Material Controller Congestion Evaluation capabilities that helps proactively establish and assist remedy material degree congestion.
- Funding Safety & Extensibility: Means to leverage the identical modular MDS chassis by every main material know-how evolution (e.g., 16G to 64G migration and adoption of NVMe over FC), thereby eliminating the dreaded and extremely disruptive forklift upgrades. This was a design precept for the MDS modular chassis structure from day 1. Extensibility makes adoption simpler and the infrastructure extra sustainable.
Determine: Cisco MDS 9000 portfolio
An Alternative to Thank Our Prospects & Companions
What has not modified within the final 20 years is our dedication to our storage networking clients in supporting their business-critical mission. Our clients are in a few of the most demanding vertical industries together with monetary providers, authorities, media & leisure, manufacturing, and plenty of others. These are environments the place the workloads require highest ranges of efficiency, reliability, and uptime and the place Fibre Channel stays the most well-liked storage networking protocol.
Cisco intends to proceed supporting our present clients and new ones by additional innovation and for years to come back. I’m grateful for our go-to-market and know-how companions, lots of whom have been with us for the reason that starting. These companions are important as storage clients favor to buy their networking options as totally built-in, examined, and validated packages that additionally embody storage methods, software program, peripherals, and repair/help agreements.
Cisco is lucky for our long-standing and enduring storage partnerships which have resulted in lots of buyer successes and compelling joint improvements. I gave our companions a chance to offer their very own views on how this partnership has developed over these 20 years:
- “By way of our decades-long, valued partnership with Cisco, we’ve served clients’ business-critical information and infrastructure wants,” stated Dave Lincoln, Vice President, Networking and Rising Server Options, Dell Applied sciences. “Cisco has introduced innovation to Fibre Channel networking with key MDS options, equivalent to digital SANs, complementing Dell’s high-end storage methods and serving to make buyer information safe and all the time out there.”
- “Over the past 20 years, we’ve seen our partnership develop and develop to deal with the altering wants of our clients and the rising necessities for brand new merchandise, options, providers, and consumption fashions. Collectively, we’ve centered on co-creating and delivering choices that permit our clients to capitalize on their information from the sting by the cloud and to the core. We stay excited and bullish about what’s subsequent for our partnership and the sorts of outcomes we are able to ship for our clients and for the world over the following 20 years.” Mark Ablett, President, Digital Infrastructure Enterprise Unit, Hitachi Vantara
- “IBM is proud to be Cisco’s solely OEM accomplice with MDS know-how. Our 20-year historical past of joint growth with Cisco for FICON and Fibre Channel know-how with MDS has pushed worth at many IBM zSystems, IBM Storage, and Purple Hat OpenShift clients. As our joint buyer base grows and we help our clients with information heart modernization, IBM c-type Storage Networking with autonomic path reset functionality, based mostly on Cisco MDS know-how, might be a key a part of the long-term worth IBM Storage delivers.” Sam Werner, VP, Product Administration, IBM Storage
- “Congratulations to Cisco MDS on their twentieth anniversary of delivering state-of-the-art Fibre Channel switches and administrators to the business. Over the previous 20 years, our longstanding relationship has been outlined by a shared dedication to innovation, interoperability, and a monitor file of delivering cutting-edge options to our mutual clients. Marvell® QLogic® 32GFC and 64GFC HBAs with the most recent capabilities of congestion mitigation powered by Digital Lane know-how prolong the Cisco MDS Digital Hyperlink functionality to host and storage methods. It is a testomony to the facility of our continued collaboration, and I’m excited for the longer term as we proceed to realize success collectively.” Matt Kim, Vice President of Advertising, Server Connectivity Enterprise Unit, Marvell
- “NetApp is happy to congratulate Cisco on MDS’s twentieth anniversary. This milestone marks an extended and valued partnership that brings greatest of sophistication options to the SAN market with MDS and FlexPod united in joint innovation.” Phil Brotherton, VP Options and Alliances, NetApp
There’s little question that digital info, aka information, has by no means been extra vital for our clients. Information has been described as all the things from the “new oil” to the “lifeblood” of recent enterprises and the digital financial system. Information is a treasure trove of insights that may assist construct smarter merchandise, ship higher customer support, and outpace rivals. Storage space networks join information and purposes securely and reliably. That perform is extra important than ever. So long as that’s the case, anticipate Cisco to proceed innovating within the storage networking house.