This oven Baked Fried Hen packs all of the well-known attract of the traditional dish, with a wholesome, straightforward, less-mess twist!
Why That is the Greatest Oven Fried Hen
There are particular dishes that may appeal to everybody to the desk with only a whiff of their signature odor, and few dishes do that as successfully as fried hen.
Somewhat than fuss with deep frying (which is messy and heavier than what I’m searching for in my typical weeknight dinners), I like making this stellar oven “fried” model.
Right here’s why you’ll like it too:
- Spicy Buttermilk Marinade. A spicy buttermilk marinade offers the hen unbelievable moisture, tenderizes the meat, and provides a pleasant kick.
- Cornflake Coating. A coating of crushed corn flakes (shock, no breadcrumbs!) makes the baked fried hen exterior irresistibly crunchy. Cornflakes aren’t a cereal I consider a lot, however after one chew of this skinny baked fried hen, I developed a brand new stage of respect for this humble breakfast cereal.
- Excellent Leftover. Even when reheated the subsequent day, the meat was nonetheless extremely candy and moist, a rarity amongst hen breast recipes. (In case you fancy breaded baked hen with a tacky current in each chew, attempt Baked Hen Cordon Bleu.)
- Wholesome. Baked fried hen is consolation meals at its best, with out all of the butter, ldl cholesterol, and trans fats, so you may really feel good cleansing your plate and licking your fingers.
5 Star Assessment
“This was WONDERFUL! They’re so filled with taste and moist! I’ll undoubtedly be utilizing this recipe once more, thanks a lot!”
— Daybreak —
How one can Make Baked Fried Hen
This baked fried recipe makes use of a dry/moist/dry methodology for dredging the hen with flour combination, then the marinade (this recipe is made with out eggs), then the cornflake combination.
It’s how deep frying hen is finished in most eating places too, as a result of it offers the hen the optimum crispy exterior.
Though this crispy baked fried hen recipe requires advance planning (I discovered that letting the hen marinate in a single day actually amped-up the “juicy” issue), it’s completely price it.
Overlook making baked fried hen with Bisquick; mixing up your individual coating is a snap (and higher tasting!).
As with the reader favourite Baked Hen Parmesan, you’ll must soiled a couple of bowls, however when in comparison with the mess of a deep fryer, this hen is squeaky-clean!
- Hen Breasts. Baked fried hen breast is the very best! It’s completely tender, juicy, and full of lean protein.
- Buttermilk + Scorching Sauce. Buttermilk helps tenderize the hen and coats the skin. Slightly scorching sauce provides a tasty contact of warmth.
- All-Objective Flour. We begin by dredging the hen with flour. The “double dredge” is vital to a crispy coating.
- Cornflake Combination. A mixture of cornflake crumbs, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning make up the second a part of the coating. That is what actually offers the baked fried hen its addictive taste and texture.
- Marinade hen within the buttermilk and scorching sauce.
- Place marinated hen on a clear plate. Reserve the marinade.
- Dredge with flour.
- Coat in reserved marinade, then dip in cornflakes.
- Cowl each side fully with cornflakes.
- Cook dinner baked fried hen at 400 levels F for quarter-hour on a wire rack coated with cooking spray.
- Scale back the temperature to 350 levels F and proceed baking till it’s cooked by means of, about 15 to twenty minutes extra.
- To Retailer. Retailer leftover baked fried hen in an hermetic container in fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Reheat baked fried hen on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F till scorching.
- To Freeze. I don’t advocate freezing this dish, because the cornflake combination will turn into soggy as soon as thawed.
Beneficial Instruments to Make Baked Fried Hen
The Greatest Mixing Bowls
9 bowls of all sizes which can be dishwasher-safe, microwave-safe, and refrigerator-safe.
You may really feel good licking your fingers with this wholesome baked fried hen!
Often Requested Questions
You shouldn’t cowl the hen for baked fried hen. Masking the hen will entice the steam, making the cornflake coating soggy reasonably than crispy.
Many of the marinade is shaken off earlier than dredging the hen, so the dairy content material is minimal, but when it is advisable completely omit the buttermilk, you may attempt making a dairy-free “buttermilk” by mixing soy milk (or one other dairy free milk) combined with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and letting it sit for five minutes.
There are various strategies on the market for the best way to make Baked Hen Breast. For the baked fried hen, the key is to first bake the hen at 400 levels F, then cut back the temperature and proceed baking at 350 levels F. This may end in hen that’s crispy on the skin and juicy on the within.
Though will probably be lacking a few of the crunchy-crispiness the cornflakes provide, baked pal hen is also made with panko bread crumbs; see this Hen Katsu for a panko model of oven fried hen.
- 6 boneless skinless hen breasts pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tablespoon scorching sauce (I used Sriracha)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups crushed corn flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly floor black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Place the hen in a big ziptop bag with the buttermilk and scorching sauce. Shut the bag, flip till the hen items are absolutely coated, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or in a single day.
- Place a rack within the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 levels F. Coat a wire rack with nonstick spray and place it on a big rimmed baking sheet.
- Arrange your dredging station: Place the flour on a large, shallow plate. Set a medium bowl beside it (this shall be for the buttermilk). In a separate, broad bowl (a pie dish works effectively), combine the cornflake crumbs, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning in a shallow bowl till the elements are evenly distributed.
- Take away the hen breasts from the bag and place them on a clear plate. Pour the marinade into the medium bowl.
- Dredge every breast with the flour till absolutely coated, shaking off any extra. Then coat the hen within the marinade, shaking off any extra. Final, dip it within the cornflake combination, patting it a bit if wanted to assist the cornflakes adhere.
Organize the hen items on the ready wire rack. Bake for quarter-hour. Scale back the oven temperature to 350 levels F and proceed baking till the hen is cooked by means of (it ought to register 155 levels to 165 levels F on an prompt learn thermometer) and crispy, about 15 to twenty minutes extra. Let relaxation 5 minutes, then serve
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover hen in an hermetic storage container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat baked fried hen on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F till scorching.
- TO FREEZE: I don’t advocate freezing this dish, because the cornflake combination will turn into soggy as soon as thawed.
*Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as a courtesy. It has been calculated with out the buttermilk, as a lot of the marinade is shaken off.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 474kcalCarbohydrates: 81gProtein: 32gFats: 3gSaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 72mgPotassium: 575mgFiber: 3gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 1776IUVitamin C: 21mgCalcium: 14mgIron: 27mg
Be a part of in the present day and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.