You’re going to excessive 5 and hug your self each rushed morning and mid-afternoon hanger-o’clock for stocking your freezer with these wholesome breakfast Egg Muffins!
You may pop these healthful muffins into the microwave and reheat them everytime you want a quick, filling breakfast or snack.
- Breakfast egg muffins are baked egg cups (or mini frittatas, in case you want a barely fancier identify; try this Potato Frittata for full-sized) which are loaded with any number of contemporary vegetable, meat, and/or tacky additions you please.
- You may take pleasure in them on their very own or make them half of a bigger breakfast unfold. (Strive them alongside these Candy Potato Hash Browns or savory Potato Pancakes.)
- Egg muffins are a preferred, wholesome kid-friendly snack or breakfast for infants and toddlers. Their hand-held measurement makes veggies approachable.
I’ve made a number of variations of this egg muffin recipe over time.
In the present day’s mixture for egg muffins with spinach, feta, and a colourful array of veggies is my all-around favourite.
5 Star Assessment
“Scrumptious and versatile! It’s my new go to sneak some chopped up veggies in with breakfast for my youngsters! The spices weren’t too overbearing however made it tremendous tasty. Coming again to this repeatedly!”
— Anna —
Make Wholesome Egg Muffins
An incredible egg muffin is all about discovering the proper ratios.
- Egg-to-Vegetable Ratio: The objective right here is to make sure that every of the breakfast egg muffin cups packs a feel-good serving of greens and not using a) falling aside or b) tasting like a mini salad. I take into account myself a vegetable fanatic, however even I’ve my limitations earlier than 10 a.m. This Wholesome Breakfast Casserole has it down too.
- Entire-Egg to Egg-White Ratio: After just a few makes an attempt—all of which have been eaten within the identify of “analysis,” however a few of which have been extra scrumptious than others—I’ve decided the perfect whole-egg to egg-white ratio for a batch of egg muffins is 6 entire eggs plus 4 egg whites.
Excessive In Protein, However Not Spongy
- Including just a few extra egg whites makes the muffins excessive in protein and low carb, with out shedding their filling, creamy texture.
- I’d not suggest all egg whites, as this can trigger the muffins to disintegrate and be spongy. Use them to make an Egg White Frittata as a substitute.
- Eggs + Egg Whites. The bottom for our simple egg muffins. As I discussed above, these muffins use the right quantity of every.
- Greens. As a result of I would like this recipe to be filling and wholesome, I all the time embody a superb quantity of contemporary greens like spinach, inexperienced and purple peppers, and cherry tomatoes. You’ll really feel nice beginning your day with a serving of veggies, and if you wish to carry them to the workplace for lunch, the greens make them a extra full meal.
- Herbs and Spices. As a result of egg-white-heavy recipes will be—there actually isn’t any well mannered method to say this—SO BORING, we have to jazz these up with loads of herbs and spices. My pantry staples are dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. The combo provides the muffins an Italian-inspired aptitude and enhances the greens and feta.
- Cheese. An non-obligatory addition. I used feta, however you should use every other cheese you take pleasure in (a cheddar cheese model I made in my experimental makes an attempt was pleasant).
- Toppings. The choices are limitless! Avocado, salsa, sizzling sauce, and freshly chopped parsley are all tasty concepts in case you’re sitting down and have entry to your fridge. In a rush? Simply heat the up and luxuriate in them as they’re.
- GENEROUSLY coat a muffin tin with nonstick spray and add mix-ins.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, egg whites, herbs, and spices.
- Fill every cup, then crumble feta excessive.
- Bake egg muffins at 350 levels for twenty-four to twenty-eight minutes, till set. Let cool, then use a butter knife to loosen the surface of the muffins. Serve sizzling or retailer for later. ENJOY!
Tricks to Forestall Sticking
- Nonstick Spray. I can’t stress sufficient how essential it’s to generously coat your muffin pan with nonstick spray. These egg muffins love to stay to the pan, so you must put a thick layer of the spray between the eggs and the muffin pan itself.
- Silicone Pan. Strive utilizing a silicone muffin pan and nonstick spray for double the nonstick energy.
- Muffin Liners. I’ve heard from a number of readers that cupcake liners and parchment paper baking cups have been additionally profitable.
Recipe Diversifications + Dietary Swaps
- Tacky Egg Muffins. Making these muffins for veggie skeptics however nonetheless desire a serving of wholesome protein? Skip the veggies altogether, and easily use your favourite mixture of cheeses, like Parmesan cheese or goat cheese.
- Spicy Egg Muffins. If you happen to like your eggs on the spicy aspect, you may also add just a few dashes of sizzling sauce or pinch of cayenne.
- Zippy Egg Muffins. Strive including just a few teaspoons of Dijon mustard.
- Egg Muffins with Meat. Tasty however non-obligatory. I discovered them loads satisfying with veggies alone, however in case you’d like so as to add meat, be at liberty to make this simple breakfast recipe with bacon (I extremely suggest this technique of Baked Bacon within the Oven for the very best outcomes and best cleanup; you may also make Air Fryer Bacon) or fold in diced cooked ham or cooked, crumbled sausage.
- To Make Keto. No adjustments wanted. These are keto egg muffins as written.
- To Make Dairy-Free, Whole30, and Paleo. Omit the cheese. (If you happen to’re searching for extra Whole30 breakfast recipes, do this Whole30 Breakfast Casserole.)
- Egg Muffins are gluten-free!
- Regardless of whether or not you select to make wholesome breakfast egg muffins with spinach or choose totally different mix-ins, these muffins are an excellent canvas for customizing your personal taste journey.
- The customization makes egg muffins nice for teenagers and toddlers, who could have enjoyable filling the muffin tins with their favourite mix-ins.
- To Retailer. Let the muffins cool utterly, then place them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You may retailer all the muffins collectively in a single bigger container or portion them into particular person containers to take with you on the go. Plastic wrap and even plastic baggies work nicely for portability too.
- To Reheat. Unwrap the muffins if wanted, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Reheat gently within the microwave on medium energy till sizzling and warmed by means of to the middle, about 30 seconds (from thawed) or 1 to 2 minutes (from frozen).
- To Freeze. Let the muffins cool utterly, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziptop bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge or reheat immediately from frozen.
Meal Prep Tip
Egg muffins are excellent for breakfast meal prep! You may multiply the recipe and freeze a large number of muffins for future breakfasts on demand.
Really useful Instruments to Make Wholesome Egg Muffins
- Nonstick Spray. How do you retain egg muffins from sticking? That is the reply. You MUST coat the pans with nonstick cooking spray, or your eggs will stick.
- Muffin Pan. I additionally love this one, which comes with a useful lid.
- Silicone Muffin Pan. My sister and several other readers reported utilizing this to bake the egg muffins (additionally with nonstick spray) with roaring success.
All-Star Muffin Pan
This 12-cup cupcake and muffin pan incorporates a fluted floor design that facilitates air circulation and likewise maximizes pan energy, which helps to withstand warping. USA Pan bakeware is sturdy.
Regularly Requested Questions
Sure, you possibly can reheat egg muffins, and that’s a part of their attraction. The precise prepare dinner time it’s good to reheat the muffins will range based mostly in your microwave’s energy. Think about the primary one a little bit of an experiment. From there, you’ll endlessly understand how lengthy you want.
Sure, egg muffins needs to be refrigerated to maintain from spoiling.
Make sure to use the right whole-egg-to-egg-white ratio as prescribed on this recipe, don’t overmix the eggs, and bake egg muffins at 350 diploma F to forestall them from being spongy.
You may take the extra step of sautéing the greens in a skillet over medium warmth earlier than baking within the egg cups to take away any extra moisture from the veggies. If you happen to expertise wateriness when reheating leftover egg muffins, attempt wrapping them in a barely moistened paper towel earlier than reheating within the microwave.
- 1 cup flippantly packed child spinach chopped
- 3/4 cup finely diced purple bell pepper about 1 small pepper
- 3/4 cup finely diced inexperienced bell pepper about 1 small pepper
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, about 1 cup entire tomatoes
- 6 massive eggs
- 4 massive egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch floor black pepper or cayenne pepper in case you like somewhat kick!
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese plus extra to sprinkle on high
- Elective toppings: avocado salsa, sizzling sauce, freshly chopped parsley
- Place a rack within the heart of your oven and preheat to 350 levels F. Evenly coat an ordinary 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray. Divide the spinach, purple bell pepper, inexperienced bell pepper, and tomatoes among the many cups (they are going to be about two-thirds of the way in which full).
- In a big bowl or massive measuring cup with a spout (my favourite as a result of it makes the combination simple to pour), briskly whisk collectively the eggs, egg whites, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper till nicely mixed. Rigorously fill every muffin cup three-quarters of the way in which to the highest with the egg combination. Sprinkle the feta evenly over the tops of the cups.
- Bake for twenty-four to twenty-eight minutes, till the egg muffins are set. Let cool for a couple of minutes, after which run a butter knife across the edges of every muffin to loosen it. Take away them from the pan and luxuriate in instantly, or let cool on a wire rack and refrigerate or freeze for later (see notes for extra particulars).
- TO STORE: Let the muffins cool utterly, then place them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You may retailer all the muffins collectively in a single bigger container or portion them into particular person containers to take with you on the go. Plastic wrap and even plastic baggies work nicely for portability too.
- TO REHEAT: Unwrap the muffins if wanted, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Reheat gently within the microwave on medium energy till sizzling and warmed by means of to the middle, about 30 seconds (from thawed) or 1 to 2 minutes (from frozen).
- TO FREEZE: Let the muffins cool utterly, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziptop bag and freeze for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge or reheat immediately from frozen.
Serving: 1muffinEnergy: 70kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 8gFats: 3gSaturated Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 96mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2g
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.