Welcome to grilled cheese 101! Learn on to learn to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a crisp, golden exterior and melty heart each time.
In case you’re questioning the right way to make a grilled cheese sandwich, Jack’s your man. He makes one so typically that we now have a devoted grilled cheese pan in our kitchen. It’s seen one million grilled cheese experiments in its day–mayo on the bread, or softened butter? American cheese or Swiss?–all of which have helped him work out what, in our opinion, is THE BEST grilled cheese recipe. It’s extremely easy, nevertheless it yields an undeniably crave-able sandwich. This grilled cheese is crisp and golden on the surface and deliciously melty within the center (see that cheese pull up there?!). Tomato soup for serving is non-obligatory, however extremely beneficial.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Elements
Able to grasp this grilled cheese recipe? Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Good bread – My most popular kind of bread for this recipe is sourdough, as a result of I like the tang it provides to the sandwich. I positively suggest attempting it out, however should you’re a grilled cheese purist, or should you don’t hold sourdough available, common white bread will work right here too.
- Mayonnaise – For the surface of the bread! It helps it cook dinner up with a crisp, fantastically browned exterior.
- Dijon mustard – It’s not completely conventional, nevertheless it’s SO scrumptious, including delicate tangy taste.
- Butter – For the pan.
- And cheese, after all! I like to make use of a combo of two totally different cheeses to offer the sandwich a richer style. Questioning which of them are greatest? Preserve studying!
What’s the perfect cheese for grilled cheese?
Okay, so truthfully, you may make a terrific grilled cheese sandwich with any sorts of cheese that soften nicely, from mozzarella to havarti to Monterey Jack or pepper jack. BUT I’ve a number of favorites, and I believe they actually set this recipe aside.
- Sharp cheddar – For me, it’s a grilled cheese important! You simply can’t beat its sharp, nutty taste. It additionally melts fantastically. I like to mix it with one of many two cheeses under.
- Gruyère or raclette – Each of those cheeses are sorts of Alpine-style Swiss cheese. They’re unparalleled melters, and every is salty and nutty, with a little bit of funk. Paired with the cheddar, they create a sandwich that has the gooey nostalgia of a basic grilled cheese, however with a tad further complexity. Between the 2, I couldn’t decide a favourite. Select whichever is available at your grocery retailer!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Methods to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich (My Finest Ideas!)
Right here’s our simple technique for the right way to make a grilled cheese sandwich:
- Unfold mayo on the surface of the bread. Not butter! The mayo helps the bread brown insanely nicely within the skillet, making a mouthwatering crunch while you chunk into the sandwich. It additionally provides the sandwich a richer taste. Unfold the within of 1 slice of bread with a layer of Dijon mustard.
- Add grated cheese. I discover that grated cheese melts extra evenly than a slice of cheese does. (Although after all, should you select to make use of a softer kind of cheese, equivalent to brie, you’ll must slice it.) Use sufficient to create a small mound of grated cheese over one slice of bread, typically 1 to 2 ounces of every kind of cheese. Place the opposite slice of bread on prime, mayo aspect out!
- Select the proper skillet. We like to make use of cast-iron as a result of it creates beautiful browning on the surface of the sandwich. In a pinch, nonstick works too!
- Go low and sluggish. I don’t increase my warmth any increased than medium-low. If the pan will get too sizzling, the bread will burn earlier than the cheese melts.
- Cowl the pan. Add sufficient butter to coat the underside of the pan. Then, add the sandwich, and COVER the skillet. The lid will lure steam within the pan, serving to soften the cheese because the bread toasts. Cook dinner for two to three minutes, or till the bread is golden brown. Flip and cook dinner, coated, on the second aspect.
- Alter the warmth as wanted. Decrease it if the bread is browning too rapidly!
When the bread is browned on either side and the sandwich is filled with melty cheese, take away it from the pan. Slice (into triangles, please!), and serve!
We love this recipe as written, however should you’re itching to alter it up, hey! You do you! Listed below are a number of concepts to get you began:
- Change the cheese, clearly! Swap the Gruyere for fontina or gouda, use 100% cheddar, or sprinkle in some blue cheese for further funk. Like I stated above, any good melter goes!
- Add veggies. Tuck in somewhat sautéed spinach, caramelized onions, chopped steamed broccoli, roasted purple peppers, or roasted tomatoes.
- Add fruit. For actually connoisseur grilled cheese sandwiches, use a mixture of Gruyere and brie cheese together with thinly sliced apples or a slather of fig jam.
- Pickles, please! Layer in pickled purple onions, pickled radishes, or pickled jalapeños for a enjoyable pop of taste.
- Get saucy. Exchange the mustard with a distinct sauce you’re keen on! Pesto, for instance, is implausible on a sandwich with mozzarella and provolone cheese.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Tacky Recipes
In case you beloved studying the right way to make an ideal grilled cheese sandwich, attempt certainly one of these tacky recipes subsequent:
Discover ways to make the BEST grilled cheese sandwich! This simple recipe yields a grilled cheese with a crisp, golden exterior and a gooey, melty, tacky center. Scrumptious with tomato soup!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- 1 to 2 ounces grated Gruyère or raclette cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- Butter, for the pan
Place the bread slices on a slicing board and unfold the highest aspect with a skinny layer of mayo. Flip one slice of bread and unfold its different aspect with Dijon mustard. Layer the cheddar and Gruyère or Raclette cheeses on prime of the mustard, then place the opposite slice of bread on prime of the cheese, mayo aspect out.
Warmth a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-low warmth and soften sufficient butter within the backside of the pan to coat it. Place the sandwich within the pan, cowl, and cook dinner for two to three minutes, or till the underside slice of bread is golden brown and crisp. Flip, exchange the lid, and cook dinner till the opposite slice of bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 1 to three minutes. Scale back the warmth to low if the bread is getting too brown earlier than the cheese is totally melted.
Slice and serve.