Searching for a hands-off, simple facet dish? Time to outsource the work to your strain cooker and provides these creamy Instantaneous Pot Mashed Potatoes a attempt!
Wealthy, Parmesan-topped, and peppered with recent herbs, these luscious, creamy mashed potatoes are the stuff of meal legend.
Serve them at a gathering, and put together to have your loved ones request this actual recipe on repeat! You may be the Mashed Potato Queen/King, an honorable title certainly.
Much like my emotions about Do-it-yourself Goat Cheese Scalloped Potatoes, till I began making these specific mashed potatoes, they had been my least favourite merchandise at a vacation feast (blasphemy, I do know!).
Oven Roasted Potatoes? Gimme that crispy goodness.
However mashed potatoes? I didn’t get what the fuss was all about.
Certain, I put a scoop of mashed potatoes on my plate on the holidays beside my Roast Turkey—to omit them would someway really feel flawed—however my coronary heart was by no means in it. I’d a lot fairly devour an additional serving of Wholesome Candy Potato Casserole.
These fluffy instantaneous pot mashed potatoes, nonetheless? I CANNOT GET ENOUGH.
5 Star Overview
“Completely superb! I didn’t suppose mashed potatoes may very well be this good!”
— Christi —
Why Use an Instantaneous Pot for Mashed Potatoes?
Now that I’ve found the fantastic thing about cooking potatoes within the Instantaneous Pot, I truly desire the Instantaneous Pot model to the stovetop model.
- The prep is way extra easy.
- The potatoes cook dinner extra shortly.
- The ensuing texture is way superior.
This Instantaneous Pot mashed potatoes recipe just isn’t solely dangerously easy to arrange, however it’s additionally extremely versatile.
Add garlic for a dreamy bowl of Instantaneous Pot garlic mashed potatoes (these Garlic Mashed Potatoes are their stovetop cousin), attempt them with cheddar cheese, or use them to prime Shepherd’s Pie.
The chances are limitless, that means you’ll by no means develop weary of them.
And, with the lighter spin this recipe gives, you possibly can allow them to be the trusty facet dish you possibly can flip to any evening of the week!
Steam or Boil: The Nice Debate
In the event you’re like me, you in all probability grew up having mashed potatoes (or Mashed Candy Potatoes) produced from boiled potatoes.
Whereas boiling is basic, steaming potatoes for mashed potatoes (as finished within the Instantaneous Pot) is the place the magic is.
- Steaming potatoes ensures they soak up simply sufficient moisture to cook dinner with out changing into waterlogged.
- Steaming preserves the potatoes’ texture and pure, earthy taste to yield the fluffiest, most flavorful, greatest mashed potatoes ever!
(In the event you want one other preparation methodology, Crockpot Mashed Potatoes are the very best of each worlds!)
The best way to Make Creamy Instantaneous Pot Mashed Potatoes
For this recipe, I set out in earnest to create mashed potatoes that might proper the whole lot I deemed flawed with most mashed potato recipes.
Goodbye, watery, bland, gummy, and grease-oozing mashed potatoes.
Howdy, creamy, dense (in a great way), herby, frivolously tangy mashed potatoes of my goals!
- Yukon Gold Potatoes. I do know that amongst mashed potato fans, there’s a scorching debate over which potato makes the very best mashed potatoes. Russets are the commonest selection. Truthfully? They aren’t my fave (aside from Hasselback Potatoes). I personally suppose Yukon gold potatoes are greatest for mashed potatoes. Whereas they could yield a extra dense mashed potato, their superior, almost-buttery taste and creamy texture are what seal the deal for me.
- Herbs. Mashed potatoes are extremely mild-mannered on their very own. A handful of recent chives brings them to life, and recent thyme offers them a savory style. (Herbs are additionally key for Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes.)
- Greek Yogurt. My swap for bitter cream, cream cheese, or milk in mashed potatoes that provides creaminess (and a lift of protein) with much less saturated fats and ldl cholesterol. This recipe makes use of what is going to really feel like an extreme quantity, however belief me and go along with it. Its thickness and physique make the mashed potatoes style decadent, and the sunshine tang offers the mashed potatoes a richer taste.
- Parmesan. I am keen on the salty sharpness that the ultimate sprinkle of Parm on prime of the mashed potatoes provides. I’ve a prompt quantity, however be happy to be extra liberal if you happen to like. (Love tacky potatoes? You’ll rave over this Hash Brown Casserole.)
- Add water and salt to the Instantaneous Pot. Place the potatoes in a steamer basket within the pot. Stress cook dinner for 8 minutes on HIGH strain to steam potatoes within the Instantaneous Pot. Launch the strain.
- Drain the pot, then return the cooked potatoes to it.
- Add the remaining components.
- Mash the potatoes. DIG IN!
Whereas I really like the convenience of the Instantaneous Pot, you may as well make this similar recipe on the stovetop:
- Peel and reduce potatoes into 1 1/2-inch-thick spherical slices. Place in a medium saucepan and canopy with chilly water so that you’ve got a minimum of 1 inch above the potatoes. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt.
- Convey to a simmer to a low simmer and preserve at a low simmer the entire time the potatoes cook dinner, adjusting the warmth as wanted. On the 18-minute mark, begin testing the potatoes for doneness. Modify the cooking time as wanted. As quickly as a paring knife slides into the center of one of many potato slices simply, drain instantly. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
- To Retailer. Maintain leftovers in an hermetic container with a lid for 3 to 4 days within the fridge to protect their deliciousness.
- To Reheat. Reheat potatoes gently within the microwave or on the range with a splash of milk to maintain them from drying out.
- To Freeze. I don’t suggest freezing these mashed potatoes, as their texture might turn into mealy as soon as thawed.
Meal Plan Tip
For greatest outcomes, make the recipe as much as 1 day upfront. Cowl the potatoes tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate them. Reheat them gently in a bowl set over simmering water, thinning with a little bit of milk as wanted and stirring each 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan simply earlier than serving.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Instantaneous Pot
The Instantaneous Pot is a superb option to velocity up cooking occasions and create one-pot meals. It’s one in every of my favourite kitchen home equipment!
After you attempt making mashed potatoes in a strain cooker as soon as, I promise you’ll be an “instantaneous” convert to this good facet dish recipe.
Regularly Requested Questions
You’ll be able to preserve mashed potatoes heat within the Instantaneous Pot for 1 to 2 hours. Flip your Instantaneous Pot to the “preserve heat” setting, and stir the potatoes often, including milk or broth in the event that they turn into too thick.
An Instantaneous Pot steamer basket is a particular add-on that’s particularly designed to be inserted into your Instantaneous Pot to assist steam your meals. Some fashions include a steamer basket, however you may as well purchase them individually on-line. I extremely suggest utilizing the basket because it ensures the potatoes don’t absorb an excessive amount of water in the course of the cooking course of.
This tragedy isn’t distinctive to Instantaneous Pot mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes ready utilizing any methodology can turn into glue-like or gummy if they’re overworked in a meals processor, electrical mixer, or immersion blender. Additionally, make sure to mash the potatoes instantly after cooking, as they will turn into gummy in the event that they sit for an prolonged interval after steaming or boiling.
Whereas I do know recipes for complete Instantaneous Pot mashed potatoes exist, this isn’t one in every of them. To ensure that the potatoes to steam in 8 minutes, you actually do want to chop them into 1-inch cubes. As for peeling, you’re welcome to go away them on if you happen to desire Instantaneous Pot mashed potatoes pores and skin on for some further fiber.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated (plus additional to taste)
- TIP: If the potatoes are thicker than you would like at any point, stir in milk 1 tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency is reached.
- TO KEEP WARM: To keep the potatoes warm before serving, place them in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and stir the potatoes occasionally to ensure that they heat evenly.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for 3 to 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat potatoes gently in the microwave or on the stove with a splash of milk to keep them from drying out.
- TO FREEZE: I do not recommend freezing this mashed potato recipe since the texture of the potatoes can become mealy once thawed.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: For best results, make the recipe up to 1 day in advance. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, reheat gently in a bowl set over simmering water, thinning with a bit of milk as needed and stirring every 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan just before serving.
- TO MAKE ON THE STOVETOP: Peel and cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch-thick round slices. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water so that you have at least 1 inch above the potatoes. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a simmer to a low simmer and keep at a low simmer the whole time the potatoes cook, adjusting the heat as needed. At the 18-minute mark, start testing the potatoes for doneness. As soon as a paring knife slides into the middle of one of the potato slices easily, drain immediately. Proceed with the recipe as directed above.
Serving: 1(of 8)Calories: 161kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 6gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 13mgFiber: 3gSugar: 2g
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.