Trying to go extra plant-based this month? Then make walnuts the star of your plate! With their cache of plant protein, good fat, fiber, and magnesium*, walnuts are the proper addition to your wholesome consuming habits. In reality, analysis hyperlinks walnuts with potential well being advantages on your coronary heart, mind, and past! And prepare for versatility—there are such a lot of scrumptious methods to prepare dinner with this mighty nut. What are you ready for? Study extra concerning the vitamin energy of walnuts, and dig in with these 5 Walnut Cooking Suggestions!
*1oz of walnuts comprises 2.5g omega-3 ALA, 4g protein, 2g fiber, 45mg magnesium. Study extra about walnut vitamin right here.
Walnuts are full of vitamins which are vital for plant-based diets, together with protein, nutritional vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytochemicals (plant compounds with antioxidant and anti inflammatory actions), and good fat. Along with containing magnesium, phosphorus, copper and manganese, walnuts have one thing distinctive amongst nuts—they’re the one nut that’s considerably excessive in omega-3 ALA fatty acids, that are crucial to numerous physique processes. For this reason analysis hyperlinks them with so many constructive potential outcomes, similar to coronary heart well being, wholesome growing old and mind well being, intestine well being, reproductive well being, and longevity.
A nutrient-dense meals, walnuts are an excellent straightforward addition to a plant-based weight loss program. A one-ounce serving—that’s one small handful, which is about 12-14 halves, or 1 / 4 cup—of walnuts delivers 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of dietary fiber, and a pair of.5 grams of omega-3 ALA. Just a bit goes a good distance! Add in walnuts’ versatility and it goes even additional. When floor, walnuts have a meat-like texture, making them good in plant-based burgers, “meatballs,” pasta sauces, and taco fillings, or use them as a flavorful, nutrient-dense breading on your favourite dishes. Walnuts are additionally simply whirred into creamy nut butter or blended right into a sauce, milked, added to morning oats, breakfast bowls, and smoothies, as a garnish on salads and different dishes to decorate up the plate, or straight up as a snack on their very own or in a enjoyable path combine. Making walnuts the star of the plant-powered plate will be so simple as an exquisite topping or final touch to any dish or as artistic and adventurous as your creativeness—or faucet into the various must-try intelligent and scrumptious walnut recipes accessible!
Maintain ‘em Cool
Walnuts retailer greatest within the fridge or freezer. Stash unopened packages instantly within the fridge—or freezer in the event you plan to retailer them for a month or longer. As soon as opened, seal walnuts in an hermetic container to keep up their recent walnut style. Contemporary walnuts have a mildly nutty and subtly candy taste, with a easy, creamy texture. Publicity to heat temperatures for lengthy intervals could trigger walnuts to go rancid as a result of warmth modifications the construction of these good-for-you fat, which creates that barely “off” scent and style.
A staple in my fridge, walnut halves are my go-to buy as a result of they provide me essentially the most choices for versatility. I can simply chop the halves, or grind them within the blender or meals processor right into a crumb, meal, or flour—no matter coarseness I want. For comfort and time-saving, walnuts are additionally accessible in items and numerous grinds. Seal and retailer them the identical as complete or halved walnuts, however they gained’t seemingly keep as recent and flavorful for as lengthy a time as while you chop them your self, simply earlier than use.
5 Prime Walnut Cooking Suggestions
1. Prime It! Walnuts are the proper go-to topper for thus many dishes from salads, porridges, and in a single day oats to casseroles and desserts. They ship crunch, taste, and so they make a stunning garnish. The most effective half? Toss ‘em on final minute, halves or chopped—and achieved!
2. Bread ‘em. Floor walnuts are a extra flavorful and nutritious coating than plain bread crumbs. Season as you’d your favourite breading and coat sliced eggplant, zucchini, broccoli—like my Vegan Broccoli Walnut Au Gratin, or plant protein, like tofu and tempeh. Bake or sauté with a contact of olive oil and garnish with herbs as a simple aspect dish or serve on prime of pasta or potatoes.
3. Get Saucy. Floor or coarsely chopped walnuts kick up sauces and dressings with a texture that may be satisfying, substantial, and creamy, or recent and light-weight. Strive them in basic sauce dishes, similar to my Vegan Bolognese with Lentils and Walnuts recipe and Butternut Squash Lasagna with Sage Walnut Sauce. Or whisk them right into a salad, like on this Quinoa Waldorf Salad with Walnut French dressing.
4. Get Your Burger On. Walnuts can assist make the proper veggie burger. With a texture that’s hearty and meaty, particularly when mixed with complete grains, beans, and lentils, walnuts are positive to be a staple in your grasp burger recipes.
5. Butter Them Up. Walnut butter is a superb unfold on fruit, sandwiches, and crackers. It’s additionally tremendous straightforward to mix at residence within the meals processor to maintain readily available for a supply of excellent fat in baking in addition to a creamy, scrumptious addition to sauces and vinaigrettes.
Written by Sharon Palmer, MSFS, RDN
Sponsored by California Walnuts