Plant-based consolation meals dishes which function a meal-in-one, resembling this hearty, vegan candy potato shepherd’s pie, are fantastic any evening of the week. Considered one of my favourite vegan meals is a basic shepherd’s pie recipe—a conventional dish comprised of a stew lined with a mashed potato topping. I combined it up through the use of wealthy candy potatoes because the topping over a Southwestern-flavored plant-based filling of black beans, peas, corn, and carrots, with a Southwest spice profile on this vegan shepherd’s pie recipe. This Southwest Candy Potato Shepherd’s Pie is even higher the following day, because the flavors begin to meld! Wealthy in protein, fiber, slow-digesting carbs, nutritional vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals, it is a balanced meal your complete household will take pleasure in. Simply pair it with a crisp inexperienced salad to spherical out your meal. It’s actually good packed away for lunch the following day, because the leftovers are nice. You can also make it in particular person bowls too.
The recipe is straightforward, calling upon pantry and freezer staples, resembling canned beans and tomato paste, onions, dried spices, and frozen greens. I like to convey this recipe to potlucks and events. The brilliant, cheery shade of candy potatoes actually calls out! If you wish to make this Southwest Candy Potato Shepherd’s Pie gluten-free, simply swap out cornstarch for the flour. It’s also possible to combine it up slightly by swapping a special sort of bean for the black beans, resembling kidney beans or pinto beans, and various kinds of greens for the corn and peas, resembling inexperienced beans, cauliflower, and zucchini. I promise this shepherd’s pie will develop into considered one of your basic, go-to recipes.
clock iconcutlery iconflag iconfolder iconinstagram iconpinterest iconfb iconprint iconsquares iconcoronary heart iconcoronary heart stable icon
This hearty, vegan Southwest Candy Potato Shepherd’s Pie is the last word plant-based consolation meals. It makes for excellent leftovers, too!
Candy Potato Topping:
Black Bean Vegetable Filling:
- 1 inexperienced onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons contemporary cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
To Make Candy Potato Topping:
- Place candy potatoes in a medium pot and canopy with water over medium warmth. Cowl, convey to a boil, and cook dinner till tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain liquid from pot, add vegan margarine and three tablespoons plant-based milk. Mash with a potato masher (or whip with an electrical mixer for finest outcomes) till easy and creamy. Add further plant-based milk if wanted to realize a easy, spreadable texture. Season as desired with salt (non-obligatory) and pepper. Put aside.
To Make Black Bean Vegetable Filling:
- Whereas candy potatoes are cooking, warmth olive oil in a massive sauté pan or skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté for 8 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, beans, peas, and corn and cook dinner for a further 5 minutes, till greens are simply tender.
- Add flour to pan and stir effectively.
- Add broth, tomato paste and lemon juice and stir effectively, heating for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with salt if desired (non-obligatory).
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Pour the vegetable combination right into a medium casserole dish or baking dish (about 9 x 9-inches in diameter and 3-inches deep).
- Place within the oven uncovered on high rack and cook dinner for 15-20 minutes, till high is barely golden brown and combination is bubbly.
- Take away from oven and garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and cilantro, if desired.
- Makes 6 servings.
To make this recipe gluten-free substitute cornstarch for flour.
It’s also possible to make this recipe into particular person pies by dividing the filling into 6-8 oven-proof soup bowls (relying on measurement) and topping with mashed candy potatoes and baking for a similar size of time.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 40 minutes
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: shepherd’s pie, vegan shepherd’s pie, vegan entree
For different plant-based one-dish meals, strive the next:
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.