This sushi bowl recipe is the simplest approach to fulfill a sushi craving at dwelling! Flavorful fixings like sliced avocado, nori, and spicy mayo high seasoned rice.
After I really feel like consuming sushi however I don’t really feel like making sushi, I make this sushi bowl recipe as a substitute. It’s straightforward to place collectively (no rolling required!), but it surely nonetheless captures all of the tastes and textures I crave in veggie sushi roll. Creamy avocado performs off sticky seasoned rice, which in flip contrasts with crisp, cooling cucumbers and crackly nori. I add ripe mango for a success of sweetness, baked tofu for protein, and large drizzles of spicy mayo for richness and warmth. I prefer to prep the parts forward of time and revel in this sushi bowl for a midweek lunch, but it surely additionally makes a enjoyable, refreshing dinner.
Sushi Bowl Recipe Components
This sushi bowl recipe begins with shortcut sushi rice. Why shortcut? Properly, true sushi rice is made with particular types of Japanese short-grain rice which can be fastidiously cooked, seasoned, and cooled. You possibly can study extra about making ready it right here. As a result of we’re making a sushi bowl and never precise sushi, this recipe is a little more versatile. Cook dinner any kind of rice you want (short-grain white and brown rice are my favorites!), and, whereas it’s nonetheless heat, season it with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt so as to add that signature candy and tangy sushi rice taste.
Whereas the rice cooks, prep the toppings:
- Baked tofu – It’s savory, spicy, and crisp across the edges. My air fryer tofu is nice right here too!
- Avocado – A veggie sushi staple!
- Mango – The interaction of candy and savory flavors is one among my favourite components of consuming sushi, so I like together with diced mango as a candy, juicy part on this bowl. It contrasts completely with the wealthy avocado and spicy mayo.
- Cucumber – For crunch.
- Scallions – For recent, oniony taste.
- Pickled ginger – It provides refreshing, peppery notes to this bowl. Search for it in Asian markets or the Asian part of well-stocked grocery shops.
- Pickled radishes – Optionally available, however scrumptious! They add a stunning pop of pink to this sushi bowl recipe and improve the candy and tangy flavors.
- Spicy mayo – Possibly the most effective a part of this bowl?? This sauce is a straightforward mixture of sriracha, mayonnaise, lime juice, and sesame oil, and it’s SO straightforward to stir collectively. Make it vegan through the use of store-bought or home made vegan mayo.
- And garnishes – Microgreens, sesame seeds, and nori, in fact! Can’t discover nori sheets? Crumble up your favourite model of seaweed snacks!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Sushi Bowl Meal Prep Ideas
Lots of the parts of this sushi bowl maintain properly should you make them forward, so it’s an awesome dish to meal prep.
- The baked tofu and sriracha mayo each maintain for 4 days in an hermetic container within the fridge.
- The pickled radishes maintain for as much as 2 weeks in a jar with a tight-fitting lid within the fridge.
- And you’ll chop recent parts just like the mango, cucumbers, and inexperienced onions forward of time and retailer them within the fridge. Simply wait to slice the avocado till the final minute!
The one part that doesn’t maintain as properly is the rice, which dries out within the fridge. You possibly can maintain it round for as much as 2 days. After that, I’d contemplate subbing an alternate grain, akin to quinoa, or freezing a few of the rice and thawing it on the day you intend to eat it.
Totally assemble the bowls in meal prep containers forward of time, or maintain the parts useful so to shortly put collectively a bowl at mealtime.
We love this sushi bowl recipe as written, however there are all kinds of how to alter it up! Be happy to customise it your liking. Listed here are just a few concepts to get you began:
- Swap the sauce. As an alternative of creating spicy mayo, high off your bowl with a drizzle of tamari or soy sauce and a squirt of sriracha. Or make the tangy tamari dressing from this rice bowl recipe.
- Add additional greens. The extra the merrier, proper?! A bit of shredded cabbage, julienned carrot, or some sautéed mushrooms could be implausible right here.
- Decide one other protein. High off your bowl with baked tempeh or edamame.
Let me know what variations you strive!
Extra Favourite Grain Bowls
In case you love this sushi bowl recipe, strive one among these yummy grain bowls subsequent:
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 recipe Baked Tofu
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 ripe mangoes, diced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Pickled ginger
- Pickled radishes, non-obligatory
- Thinly sliced nori or seaweed snacks, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Microgreens, for garnish
- Spicy Mayo, for serving
- Whereas the rice continues to be heat, toss it with the rice vinegar, cane sugar, and salt.
- Divide amongst 4 bowls and high with the baked tofu, avocado, mango, cucumbers, scallions, pickled ginger, and pickled radishes, if utilizing. Garnish with nori, sesame seeds, and microgreens and serve with spicy mayo.