This espresso cake recipe is a scrumptious deal with for breakfast or brunch. It is moist and tender, with a cinnamon swirl within the center and buttery crumble on prime.
This espresso cake recipe relies on my grandmother’s. Her traditional espresso cake was certainly one of my favourite treats once I was rising up. It was moist, tender, wealthy, and buttery, and it had a scrumptious swirl of brown sugar and cinnamon by the center. I didn’t pair it with a cup of espresso again then, however after having fun with many slices of this model with each espresso and tea, I can attest that it’ll be an ideal companion in your scorching beverage of alternative.
In testing this cinnamon espresso cake, I solely made just a few small adjustments to my grandmother’s recipe (which–enjoyable truth!–my mother nonetheless has on a handwritten be aware card). She made a bitter cream espresso cake, however as a result of I don’t usually have bitter cream available, I subbed in entire milk Greek yogurt, and it labored like a attraction. The second change I made was including a crumb topping. It’s crisp, candy, and buttery, and it makes this already delicious cake even higher. I hope you get pleasure from it!
Espresso Cake Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll must make this espresso cake recipe:
- All-purpose flour – Spoon and degree it to keep away from packing an excessive amount of into your measuring cup.
- Baking powder, baking soda, and eggs – They assist the espresso cake rise.
- Unsalted butter – It provides richness and scrumptious buttery taste. Enable it to melt to room temperature earlier than you begin to bake.
- Cane sugar – For sweetness.
- Vanilla extract – For heat depth of taste.
- Greek yogurt – Complete milk, please! It provides a delicate tang to this cinnamon espresso cake and offers it an incredible tender crumb.
- And sea salt – To make all of the flavors pop!
For the cinnamon-sugar filling, you’ll want just a little additional cane sugar together with brown sugar and cinnamon. And for the crumble topping, you’ll want some additional flour, extra cane sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and softened butter to create these candy, buttery, crispy crumbs. Let’s bake!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
Methods to Make Cinnamon Espresso Cake
You’ll find the entire espresso cake recipe on the backside of this put up, however right here’s a fast overview of the way it goes:
Begin by making the cinnamon-sugar filling and streusel topping. I prefer to make these parts aspect by aspect in separate bowls. They use the identical quantity of brown sugar, cane sugar, and cinnamon, so I measure these substances first and stir them collectively. Then, I combine the flour for the crumble topping into one bowl and work within the butter till the combination is crumbly. Don’t over-mix, or it should turn out to be a paste!
Subsequent, make the cake batter. Whisk collectively the dry substances in a big bowl and set them apart.
Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or utilizing a hand mixer, cream the butter. Add the sugar and blend to mix earlier than including the eggs separately and beating nicely after every addition. Combine within the vanilla.
At this level, you’ll alternately combine within the dry substances and the Greek yogurt, beginning and ending with the dry substances. I like so as to add 1 / 4 of the dry substances and blend, then add a 3rd of the Greek yogurt and blend, and so forth. When you add all the flour combination and the yogurt, the batter will probably be thick and fluffy.
Then, assemble the espresso cake. Unfold half the batter in a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar filling evenly on prime, and dollop on the remaining batter. Use a spatula to easy it into a good layer. Will probably be thick. That’s okay!
Sprinkle the espresso cake with the crumb topping…
…and bake at 350°F till a toothpick inserted comes out clear. Enable to chill barely earlier than slicing and serving.
Straightforward Espresso Cake Serving Solutions
A slice of this cinnamon espresso cake is nice by itself, served with espresso or tea for breakfast or a day deal with. The cake can be a improbable addition to a weekend or vacation brunch. Pair it with one thing savory, like a frittata or scrambled eggs, and contemporary fruit. Discover extra of our favourite brunch recipes right here!
This espresso cake recipe is greatest on the day on it’s baked, however leftovers preserve nicely for as much as 2 days. Retailer them in an hermetic container at room temperature. For longer storage, wrap slices in aluminum foil or plastic wrap, and freeze them for as much as 3 months. Enable them to thaw at room temperature. Get pleasure from!
Extra Favourite Brunch Recipes
When you love this cinnamon espresso cake recipe, strive certainly one of these scrumptious brunch recipes subsequent:
Serves 15 to 18
This simple espresso cake recipe is scrumptious for breakfast, brunch, or a day deal with! It is moist and tender, with a cinnamon swirl by the center and a buttery crumble on prime. Serve this crumb cake with espresso or tea.
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
For The Cake
- 2½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups cane sugar
- 3 giant eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups entire milk Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Make the filling: In a small bowl, combine collectively the brown sugar, cane sugar, and cinnamon. Put aside.
- Make the crumble topping: In a medium bowl, combine collectively the flour, brown sugar, cane sugar, and cinnamon. Add the butter and use a spatula to mix. Combine till there isn’t a dry flour remaining and the combination is crumbly. Don’t overmix. Put aside.
- Make the cake: In a big bowl, whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, or utilizing an electrical mixer, cream the butter. Add sugar and blend to mix. Add the eggs separately, beating nicely after every addition. Combine within the vanilla. Add 1 / 4 of the dry substances and blend, then add a 3rd of the yogurt and blend. Repeat till you’ve got added all of the yogurt and dry substances, ending with the dry substances.
- Evenly unfold half the batter on the backside of the ready pan. Sprinkle with the filling. Dollop the remaining batter in spoonfuls throughout the highest of the filling and use a spatula or knife to rigorously unfold it into a good layer. Sprinkle the crumble topping on prime.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted comes out clear.