Tossed in an addictive candy and tangy sauce, these Honey Walnut Shrimp will beat take-out any day. Prepared in lower than half-hour, they’re a simple answer to your Asian-inspired meals cravings.
Higher Than Takeout Honey Walnut Shrimp
Completely golden and crispy, these simple honey walnut prawns are what your Asian-inspired dinner menu was lacking. They’re so creamy and wealthy that you simply received’t even look again as you drive previous your favourite take-out place any more.
A candy and savory sauce is the spotlight of those shrimp, together with their gentle batter. Wait to begin tossing till you’ve tried it, although. Not like at Panda Categorical, you may truly regulate the sauce to your style right here. You may even add Sriracha to make it spicy! Your kitchen, your name, good friend.
Prepared in lower than half-hour, there’s no excuse to not throw this recipe collectively asap – primarily as a result of you may go nut-free and make a complete bunch of different substitutions to suit your life-style and differing tastes. You don’t even want shrimp! Means more healthy than restaurant variations; there’s actually nothing to consider.
What You’ll Want
You may make these honey walnut prawns so long as you will have shrimp, mayo, sweetened condensed milk, flour, and lime juice at residence. Test the recipe card on the backside of the put up for full ingredient quantities.
For the Sauce
- Japanese mayonnaise: Be happy to make use of common mayo as an alternative.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Please don’t substitute this.
- Lime juice: Lemon juice works too.
For the Batter
- All-purpose flour
- Cornstarch: You may swap it for all-purpose flour.
- Potato starch: Be happy to substitute it for cornstarch or all-purpose flour.
- Baking powder: Don’t use baking soda, please.
To Prepare dinner the Shrimp
- Medium/massive shrimp
- Uncooked honey: Agave syrup works too.
- Black sesame seeds: White sesame seeds are okay as nicely.
- Vegetable oil
Honey walnut prawns aren’t restricted to solely utilizing shrimp or walnuts. Test these recipe variations for different yummy variations of this dish.
- Make it spicy. Add a bit of warmth by mixing 1/2 tablespoon of Sriracha with the sauce.
- Use fish. Slice white fish like halibut or tilapia into 2″ cubes. Substitute the shrimp for it and put together the recipe as directed.
- Add almonds. Substitute the walnuts for almonds and provides this dish a distinct crunch.
- Go nut-free. Skip the walnuts altogether, and toss the crispy shrimp within the sauce. It’ll be simply pretty much as good!
Tips on how to Make Honey Walnut Shrimp
Prepared in beneath half-hour, how onerous can these honey walnut prawns be?
To Make the Sauce and Walnuts
- Make the sauce. Whisk the Japanese mayo, sweetened condensed milk, and lime juice till nicely mixed. It’s going to be tangy and candy, however wait till you’ve fried the shrimp to regulate the flavour. Set it apart.
- Fry the walnuts. Add 3/4 cup vegetable oil to a small pot over low warmth. Add the walnuts and allow them to fry for 1 minute, stirring consistently to keep away from burning. Take away them from the warmth and allow them to cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add honey. Toss the fried walnuts with the honey in a small bowl. Place them again within the oil and cook dinner for an additional minute or till barely crispy. Pressure them and set them apart to chill. Don’t set them on a paper towel or they are going to stick. Don’t use the identical cooking utensil for the remainder of the recipe or the caramelized honey would possibly burn within the oil afterward.
For the Batter and Shrimp
- Make the batter. Combine the salt, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and potato starch in a medium-sized bowl. Add the egg and water. Whisk till you kind a batter. It shouldn’t be too runny.
- Coat the shrimp. Add about 3 to five cups of oil to a medium-sized pot over medium-high warmth. Don’t use the identical pot that you simply used for the walnuts as a result of the honey will burn and persist with the shrimp. Add the shrimp to the batter and blend to mix.
- Fry the shrimp. Drop 1 teaspoon of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately, it’s prepared for frying. Fastidiously decrease 4 to five battered shrimp into the recent oil. Prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes on both sides till golden brown. Pressure them and set them on a wire rack to chill. Repeat for the remainder of the shrimp.
- Add the sauce. Dip 1 fried shrimp into the sauce and do a style take a look at. Alter the flavour of the sauce with extra mayo, sweetened condensed milk, or lime juice to style. As soon as prepared, toss all of the shrimp with the sauce till utterly coated. Add the walnuts and stir to mix.
- Serve. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to style, serve, and revel in!
Suggestions for Success
Pre-cleaned shrimp is by far probably the most life-saving tip if you’re pressed for time.
- Purchase pre-cleaned shrimp. Ask your fishmonger to devein and clear the shrimp for you. There are additionally packages of cleaned, frozen shrimp you can seize on the retailer.
- Use tempura. If you happen to don’t have time or in the event you don’t have all of the substances for the batter, use tempura batter combine.
- Add soy sauce. Add 2 teaspoons of soy sauce to the sauce for added saltiness and umami taste.
- Use candied walnuts. If you have already got some readily available, use them to chop down on cooking time.
What to Serve with Honey Walnut Prawns
For a full take-out model meal at residence, you may serve these honey walnut shrimp over a mattress of steamed rice or Shrimp Fried Rice. Paired with Orange Hen Bites, Asian Beef Skewers, and Hen Lettuce Wraps, you’ll really feel such as you introduced your favourite Asian restaurant straight to your kitchen. My Poke Bowl Recipe, Simple Kung Pao Hen Recipe, Chinese language Hen, and Broccoli additionally go fairly nicely with it.
If you happen to’re searching for one thing a bit of lighter, you can also make lettuce wrap-style tacos with iceberg lettuce, steamed rice, and a few honey walnut prawns. Drizzled with soy sauce or Sriracha, they’re wonderful!
Tips on how to Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate any cooled leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days. Don’t retailer the shrimp longer than this as a result of the chance of meals poisoning will increase considerably.
- To reheat the shrimp, microwave them for as much as a minute or till heat. You may also reheat the shrimp in a pan over medium-low warmth for a number of minutes or till heated via; stir often. They received’t be as crispy as they have been initially as a result of the batter may have absorbed all of the moisture from the sauce, however the shrimp will style simply pretty much as good.
Extra Simple Shrimp Recipes
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the mayo, sweetened condensed milk, and lime juice till nicely mixed. Set the sauce apart.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk collectively the salt, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and potato starch to make the batter. Add within the egg and water and whisk till you kind a batter. Add the shrimp to the batter and toss to mix. Put aside.
- Add about 4 to five cups of oil to a deep frying pan set over medium-high warmth.
- Drop 1 teaspoon of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately, it is prepared for frying. Fastidiously decrease 4 to five battered shrimp into the recent oil. Prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes on both sides till golden brown. Take away from oil with a slotted spoon, pressure, and set them on a wire rack to chill. Repeat with the remainder of the shrimp.
- In the meantime, add ¾ cup vegetable oil to a pot or skillet set over low warmth. Add the walnuts and allow them to fry for 1 to 2 minutes, consistently stirring to keep away from burning. Take away them from the warmth and allow them to cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, toss the fried walnuts with honey. Place them again within the oil and cook dinner for an additional minute or till barely crispy. Pressure them and set them apart to chill.
- Dip a fried shrimp into the mayo sauce and do a style take a look at. Alter the sauce’s taste with extra mayo, sweetened condensed milk, or lime juice to style. As soon as prepared, toss all of the shrimp with the sauce till utterly coated. Add the walnuts and stir to mix.
- Organize the shrimp over a mattress of cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with black sesame seeds, and revel in with a facet of cabbage salad.
- Shrimp: Use uncooked, thawed, cleaned, and deveined shrimp. You may also use fish fillets; slice white fish, like Halibut or Cod, into 2-inch cubes, and use that as an alternative of shrimp.
- Walnuts: If you happen to don’t have walnuts or are allergic to walnuts, skip them altogether or use a distinct nut.
- Mayonnaise: For a extra genuine recipe, I counsel utilizing Kewpie, which is Japanese mayonnaise. It’s thicker, tangier, and sweeter than its American counterpart. Add a bit of warmth by mixing in a little bit of Sriracha to the sauce.
Energy: 341 kcal | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Protein: 20 g | Fats: 20 g | Saturated Fats: 3 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 12 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 4 g | Trans Fats: 0.03 g | Ldl cholesterol: 157 mg | Sodium: 383 mg | Potassium: 596 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 12 g | Vitamin A: 73 IU | Vitamin C: 1 mg | Calcium: 209 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 22 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values could fluctuate in accordance with the substances and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.