Rooster Katsu—Japanese-style breaded rooster breast cutlets—is consolation meals that also warms me simply because it did the primary chilly afternoon I attempted it in a small restaurant in Tokyo.
It was a moist winter day, and we have been drained and hungry (ever really feel that approach after work?).
We adopted our noses to a tucked-away basement restaurant, grabbed our image menus, and pointed at what appeared like the perfect meal for the second: juicy rooster breaded, fried, and served with a candy, sticky Asian sauce referred to as tonkatsu.
It was easy, satiating, and precisely what the second wanted.
Years later, it nonetheless hits the spot!
About Rooster Katsu
- Rooster katsu (or pork katsu, if pork cutlets are used as a substitute of rooster breast) is ubiquitous all through Japan.
- It’s much like our different cultures’ variations of crispy rooster, similar to southern Baked Fried Rooster, standard European dishes like schnitzel, and American-Italian Baked Rooster Parmesan.
What units rooster katsu aside is the way it’s pounded thinly, coated in panko breadcrumbs (which makes it further crunchy), and served with shredded cabbage, rice, lemon wedges, and tonkatsu sauce.
Rooster Katsu Sauce
Rooster katsu is usually served with tonkatsu sauce.
This candy and tangy Japanese condiment is product of vegatables and fruits, similar to tomatoes, celery, onions, dates, and prunes, together with soy sauce and greater than 10 spices. It’s advanced!
Right here within the U.S., you should buy it from many grocery shops or your native Asian market. I’ve additionally included a shortcut rooster katsu sauce recipe beneath that I tailored from Simply One Cookbook.
The best way to Make Rooster Katsu
If your loved ones loves crispy breaded rooster (me too!), you then’ll adore rooster katsu (and Crispy Asian Rooster Tenders).
As we speak’s recipe is a baked rooster katsu, made accessible for the common American prepare dinner.
- Moderately than deep fry, I bake the rooster at a excessive temperature to make the skin crispy and hold the within juicy.
- To imitate the indulgence of fried, previous to breading the rooster, I toast the breadcrumbs in a little bit little bit of butter to create a yummy, crispy rooster with out the fuss of a deep fryer.
Serve your katsu the standard Japanese approach (with shredded cabbage, rice, lemon, and tonkatsu sauce), or do a cultural mash-up and go for your loved ones’s favourite dipping sauces, like Barbecue Sauce, Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip, or the honey mustard dipping sauce from my Honey Mustard Rooster Tenders.
- Rooster. Pounding the rooster cutlets till they’re good and skinny helps make them extra tender. Plus, they prepare dinner in a flash! You should purchase rooster that’s already sliced into cutlets, or minimize your personal from common rooster breast. (I additionally counsel cutlets for this Rooster Francaise recipe.)
- Butter. Toasting the panko in butter provides wealthy, mouth-watering taste to the breadcrumb coating with out the necessity for a deep fryer.
- Panko. Creates the proper crispy, crunchy coating (like on Air Fryer Rooster Tenders).
- Flour + Egg. Helps the egg and breadcrumbs adhere to the skin for optimum crispiness.
- Pound the rooster cutlets and season with salt and pepper.
- Toast the breadcrumbs in a pan with butter. Add the flour to a separate bowl. In one other bowl, beat the egg.
- Flippantly dredge every rooster cutlet within the flour.
- Then, dip it into the egg combination.
- Lastly, dip it into the breadcrumbs.
- Lay the cutlets on baking trays topped with an oven-safe rack, then coat each with nonstick spray.
- Bake rooster katsu at 425 levels F for 12 to 14 minutes (or till it registers an inside temperature of 160 levels F on an instant-read thermometer). Take away and let relaxation for five minutes. Serve with tonkatsu sauce and desired sides. I typically prime with inexperienced onion too. ENJOY!
Air Fryer Rooster Katsu
Right here’s make rooster katsu within the air fryer (followers of my Air Fryer Fried Rooster Breast will love this!):
- Observe the recipe as directed by means of Step 6.
- Coat an air fryer basket with nonstick spray. Cook dinner the rooster cutlets in a single layer (it’s possible you’ll must do a number of batches) at 390 levels F for 4 minutes.
- Flip the rooster over, then prepare dinner for one more 2 to five minutes or till it’s cooked by means of. Repeat with any remaining rooster.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover breaded rooster in an hermetic container for as much as 2 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze rooster in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day upfront, pound the rooster. Refrigerate it in an hermetic storage container till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Baking Sheet. My go-to for all the things from roasted veggies to rooster katsu.
- Pie Dish. Excellent for the flour, egg, and breadcrumb mixtures.
- Meat Tenderizer. Nice for pounding the rooster.
Each chunk of this rooster katsu takes me again to that cozy restaurant in Tokyo.
I hope it brings a little bit heat and nourishment to your loved ones too!
Continuously Requested Questions
No. Rooster katsu just isn’t gluten free. Nevertheless, you could possibly experiment with swapping the flour and panko bread crumbs on this recipe to your favourite gluten free options. If you happen to give it a strive, I’d love to listen to your outcomes.
To make dairy-free rooster katsu, swap the butter for canola oil, an analogous vegetable oil, or olive oil.
Positive! Be happy to experiment with utilizing thighs when you want darkish meat. Take word that the cooking time will likely be totally different since thighs prepare dinner in a different way than breasts. Use 4 giant rooster thighs for this recipe and take away any extra fats or gristle.
Rooster Katsu Video
If you happen to take pleasure in this video, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. Make sure you click on the BELL icon so that you could be the primary to know after we submit a brand new video (and thanks for subscribing!).
For the Rooster Katsu:
- 4 rooster breast cutlets*
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter**
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup white entire wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 giant egg
- Nonstick cooking spray really useful: olive oil spray
- Tonkatsu sauce***
- Finely shredded cabbage
- Lemon wedges
- Cooked rice white is conventional; use brown rice for a dietary increase or cauliflower rice
- Place an oven rack within the higher third of the oven and preheat the oven to 425 levels F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place an oven-safe rack on prime and coat generously with nonstick spray and put aside.
- Flippantly pound the rooster cutlets into a fair 1/2-inch thickness. Sprinkle the rooster cutlets with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper.
- In a medium skillet, soften the butter over medium warmth. Add the breadcrumbs and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat the breadcrumbs with the melted butter. Let prepare dinner, stirring continually, till the breadcrumbs are evenly toasted and turning golden brown, about 2 minutes. Switch to a large, shallow bowl or dish (a pie plate works effectively).
- In a separate shallow bowl, place the white entire wheat flour. In a 3rd shallow bowl, beat the egg.
- Arrange your workstation: rooster, flour, egg, panko, baking sheet. Working separately, dip every rooster cutlet evenly in flour to coat on all sides. Shake off the surplus.
- Then, dip the rooster within the egg.
- Lastly, dip the rooster into the panko. Pat the panko as wanted in order that it adheres. Organize on the baking sheet so the cutlets are usually not touching. Mist the tops with nonstick spray.
- Bake the rooster katsu within the higher third of the oven, till the rooster is cooked by means of (it ought to attain an inside temperature of 165 levels F; I pull mine out a number of levels early and let the carryover cooking end the remaining), about 12 to 14 minutes.
- Take away from the oven and let relaxation 5 minutes.
- To serve, minimize the rooster katsu into skinny slices (if desired). Drizzle with the tonkatsu sauce. Serve with cabbage, a small bowl of rice, and lemon wedges, with the additional tonkatsu sauce in a bowl alongside.
- *Rooster breast cutlets are rooster breasts which were break up in half horizontally to create two thinner items of rooster. You should purchase them already minimize or fastidiously minimize your personal. Or, you’ll be able to pound very small rooster breasts to a ½-inch.
- **Conventional rooster katsu is deep-fried in vegetable or peanut oil; to imitate that indulgent spin, I toast the panko breadcrumbs in melted butter; when you want, you’ll be able to toast them in canola oil or olive oil.
- ***Tonkatsu sauce is accessible at many supermarkets or at your native Asian grocery retailer. Or, you may make your fast model by combining 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon oyster sauce. Add a pinch or two of sugar to style (sauce tailored from Simply One Cookbook).
- TO STORE: Refrigerate rooster in an hermetic storage container for as much as 2 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers on a baking sheet within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze rooster in an hermetic freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 344kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 41gFats: 12gSaturated Fats: 5gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 3gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 165mgPotassium: 685mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 286IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 50mgIron: 2mg
Be part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.